scp creating root files

douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com
Sat Jun 3 00:48:11 EST 2000

Folks,

I noticed that whenever I scp'ed a file to my test server (running OpenSSH
2.1.0p2, and then tested with p3) it was created owned by root.

    /home/me $ ls -al .profile
    -rwx------   1 me       group       1056 Jan 18 1999  .profile
    /home/me $ scp .profile me at server:test
    me at server's password:
    .profile             100%
|*********************************************************************************|

  508       00:00

    /home/me $ ls -al test
    -rwx------   1 root     system       1056 Jun  2 15:37 test

This is the same whether I force protocol version 1.5 or 2.  The same also
occurs using DSA authentication.  Can someone check to see if they can
reproduce this?  The following appears in verbose output:

    Sending file modes: C0700 508 .profile

The file mode is always correct but the user is always wrong (I don't
allow direct root access to servers).

Any ideas?
 Doug Manton, AT&T EMEA Firewall and Security Solutions

              douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy"