Openssh-2.1.1p1 and solaris 7/8

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.ampr.org
Fri Jun 16 06:05:53 EST 2000

A quick workaround is to create .hushlogin in the home directory of
the Solaris machine you're logging into with slogin. This suppresses
the motd and lastlogin displays.

Until I did this, my xterm windows into my remote Solaris machine were
useless because binary garbage sent by sshd after the truncated
lastlog message screwed up the state of the local xterm emulator,
which began printing graphics characters in place of normal text.

This problem suddenly appeared when I upgraded the local client to
Debian 2.2 (frozen) from 2.1 (slink). Not sure why, since both ends
were already running openssh-2.1.1p1.

Phil