ssh 2.1.1p1 can't connect; ssh 1.2.3 can

Jim root at rjimlad.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 23:49:18 EST 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Gert Doering wrote:

> > It's apparently something about the privileged ports?, because if I run
> > the setuid version with -P, then that works as well.
> >
> > _But_, I don't see how it can be a firewall issue, at least not on my
> > side, since I can use a privileged port to access my home system (I
> > don't need -P for that).  That's what threw me :-/.
>
> Sounds *very* much like a firewall issue - somewhere on the way in
> between.  Something of "privileged ports are evil, forbid, forbid!"
> without actually understanding things like ssh...

I was having a similar issue myself - no local firewall, though, although
I can't be entirely sure my ISP doesn't have some kind of firewall setup.

However, I can connect to sshd on my own box from the remote box in
question, so I'm guessing my priveledged ports are fine.

I did have a commercial version of SSH on this box(whichever one comes
with SuSE linux 6.4 :) ), which worked fine for connecting to the remote
server (which runs a commercial sshd running SSH2 on linux).

I had an earlier version of OpenSSH, but obviously it couldn't negotiate
an SSH2 connection :)

Incidentally, in my case it just hangs but specifying -P sorts it out
nicely. Maybe it might be a good idea to set this as the default?

Jim