Probs with Solaris 2.6

Chiaki Ishikawa Chiaki.Ishikawa at personal-media.co.jp
Thu Jun 22 19:34:43 EST 2000

>This dropped my session of course, big deal I thought, but the
>host dropped to single user mode and stopped accepting
>connections.  This leads me to suspect that events on a
>redirected session inside an ssh session, can effect the health
>of the box the client is run on..

This sounds to me a

	kill (-1, whatever)

is executed by mistake on the host.
(Yeah, this sounds like a bug.)

Maybe the first argument to kill was supposed to be
a process ID, but the process id was somehow
-1 (because the value was returned by a failed
system call since such process was not found, etc..).

>From man kill:

>     If pid is -1 and the effective user  ID  of  the  sender  is
>     super-user,  the signal is sent to all processes except sys-
>     tem processes, process 1, and the process sending  the  sig-
>     nal.

process 1 is usally init.

Hence I suspect that the sshd running with effective ID of
superuser was invoking kill() for process ID, -1, by mistake.

--
     Ishikawa, Chiaki        ishikawa at personal-media.co.jp.NoSpam  or
 (family name, given name) Chiaki.Ishikawa at personal-media.co.jp.NoSpam