F-secure -> Openssh Compatibility (fwd)

Mike Fisk mfisk at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 29 01:02:13 EST 2000

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:09:43 -0600 (MDT)
From: "W. Scott Wilburn" <wilburn at lanl.gov>
To: ssh at clinet.fi
Subject: F-secure -> Openssh Compatibility

We have Macintoshes running Fsecure SSH client 1.0.1 which are unable to
connect to a server running Openssh 2.1.1 on Red Hat 6.2.

I believe that the problem is a bug with Fsecure, since a 30-day trial
version of 1.0.2 works fine. I'm a bit reluctant to tell all the Mac users
they have to spend money to upgrade, though, since everything was fine
until I switched my machines to OpenSSH from commercial SSH.

Does anyone have any info on this? Is there a workaround?

Symptoms
--------

Client side (Mac w/ Fsecure):

   After initiating connection, nothing happens until eventual timeout or
   manual quit.

Server side (Linux w/ Openssh)

   Log file reads

                Connection from <client IP> port 49153

   After client-side quit, log file reads

                Did not receive ident string from <client IP>.

Best regards,
Scott Wilburn

--
| W. Scott Wilburn               | Email: wilburn at lanl.gov |

--
Mike Fisk, RADIANT Team, Network Engineering Group, Los Alamos National Lab
See http://home.lanl.gov/mfisk/ for contact information