Is it securely: `hostname`:10 ?

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 22:51:33 EST 2000

andre.lucas at dial.pipex.com said:
> You could add '--with-ipaddr-display' to your configure options to get
> DISPLAY in the form '192.168.1.1:10'. However, if the host returns
> 127.0.0.1 as the first address from gethostbyname(hostname) then this
> might not work as expected. If, as has been said, some hosts use an
> AF_UNIX socket whenever they detect the loopback address, this still
> won't work.

Another seriously tacky solution, would be to check the hostname/ip
mapping of the display hostname, and if it points to 127.0.0.1, change
it so that you use 127.0.0.2 as the display hostname.  Believe it or
not this does work on the boxes I tries - the code that does the
loopback "optimization" isn't bright enough to realise that in general
the whole 127.0.0.0/8 network is looped.

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]