ssh bug? on Solaris

Robin Lee Powell rlpowell at calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Mar 10 16:40:47 EST 2000

On Solaris, and presumably other architectures that don't have /dev/random,
there's a problem with a portion of OpenSSL that is used by OpenSSH.

The cause is line 390 in md_rand.c, which, as far as I can tell, in effect
causes everything up the line to kak if not enough entropy has been gathered.
Which is fine, except that it only seems to know about /dev/random as a
source of entropy.  There seems to be egd support in openssl, but I
haven't a clue how to make it work with the RAND_METHOD stuff.  The simplest
fix is to replace that line with 'ok = 1;', but that's not exactly a good
solution.

The resulting error in OpenSSH is

ssh: no RSA support in libssl and libcrypto.  See ssl(8).

Note that I have no idea what a good solution to this would be, and I'm
sure this isn't even the best place to post this problem.  However, if
someone does figure it out, please drop me a line.  I don't read the
list.

-Robin