default-path

Jim Knoble jmknoble at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 09:03:33 EST 2000

What is your default system path?  On my Red Hat Linux 5.2 system, it's:

  [jmknoble at zax:/usr/include]
  $ grep -A 1 _PATH_STDPATH *.h
  paths.h:#define _PATH_STDPATH\
  paths.h-	"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
  [jmknoble at zax:/usr/include]
  $

For such a standard path, what i recommend doing is something like:

--with-default-path="\
/space/local/bin:\
/usr/bin:\
/bin:\
/space/local/sbin:\
/usr/sbin:\
/sbin"

The key is that the contents of --with-default-path *replace*
_PATH_STDPATH, they don't add to it.

Damien, perhaps this can be made more clear in the install docs?

--
jim knoble
jmknoble at pobox.com

På 2000-Mar-16 klokka 13:21:26 -0600 skrivet Mate Wierdl:

: I now specified
:
: --with-default-path=/space/local/bin
:
: but when I log in to the system, I get
:
: ssh wierdlm at karadi
: wierdlm at karadi.msci.memphis.edu's password:
: Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.
: Last login: Thu Mar 16 12:28:52 2000 from wierdlmpc.msci.m
: Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.6       Generic August 1997
: bash: stty: command not found
: bash: stty: command not found
: bash: stty: command not found
: bash: uname: command not found
:
: I suppose I need to put some more dirs in default-path.  What other
: dirs do I need to specify on my Solaris box?  What is the syntax to
: specify a path?  Is it correct to write
:
: --with-default-path=/space/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin
:
: ?  Does the list of dirs affect the security of ssh somehow?  Should I
: just do
:
: --with-default-path=$PATH
: