FreeBSD 3.1 & OpenSSH 1.2.3

Mike Esler mike.esler at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Mar 28 07:07:59 EST 2000

Hi all,

I am trying to get OpenSSH working on an i386 BSD 3.1 box we have.
Everything compiles OK, installs, and I can launch SSHD.
Here is a sample session of sshd with the debug switch:

<BEGIN SSHD OUTPUT,  NAMES CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT :)>
computer# /usr/local/sbin/sshd -d
debug: sshd version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 127.0.0.1 port 909
debug: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version
OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Starting up PAM with username "mesler"
debug: Attempting authentication for mesler.
Failed rsa for mesler from 127.0.0.1 port 909
debug: PAM Password authentication for "joe.blow" failed: Module is
unknown
Failed password for mesler from 127.0.0.1 port 909
<END SSH OUTPUT>

On the user end, the only error I get is :
Permission denied, please try again.

Here is what the error spits into the logs:
Mar 27 14:32:15 tortoise sshd[66176]: adding faulty module:
/usr/lib/pam_unix.so
Mar 27 14:34:55 tortoise sshd[66380]: unable to
dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
Mar 27 14:34:55 tortoise sshd[66380]: [dlerror: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so:
Undefined
symbol "crypt"

I have included the 4 PAM entries that came from the
$SRCDIR/contrib/sshd.pam.freebsd into my pam.conf file.
Those lines are:
sshd    auth    required        pam_unix.so
try_first_pass
sshd    account required        pam_unix.so
sshd    password required       pam_unix.so
sshd    session required        pam_unix.so

the login entry in my pam.conf file also uses pam_unix.so

Can someone shed some light on this for me?  What am I missing?
It almost seems as if the server is using the wrong encryption type.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mike Esler
Sverdrup Technology