/etc/urandom and Solaris

Hunter, Ryan RHunter at StockwalkGroup.com
Wed Mar 29 06:29:09 EST 2000

Tim-

You need to use the Entropy Gathering Daemon (EGD) developed by Brian
Werner.  The EGD collects entropy from various OS/Solaris facilities,
creating an entropy pool for random number generation.  Read the readme
included with the distribution of OpenSSH and visit
http://www.lothar.com/tech/crypto/ for the EGD source and documentation.

Mahalo,
Ryan

RYAN J. HUNTER
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator
Stockwalk.com Group, Inc. -- Information Architecture
email: rhunter at stockwalkgroup.com ph: 612-542-3538

-----Original Message-----
From: tnibbe [mailto:tnibbe at sprint.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 2:16 PM
To: openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
Subject: /etc/urandom and Solaris

I feel very silly asking this, because I saw the answer to this question one

time and can't remember what it was.  OpenSSH uses /dev/urandom or
/dev/random
which Solaris does not have (verified with a call to the Sun software
folks).
How do I make OpenSSH happy with a Solaris substitute for /etc/urandom?

Thanks

Tim Nibbe
Supervisor of System Administration
Sprint IP Dial Support Services