Failed password

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Thu Mar 30 05:37:06 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 10:52:09AM -0800, Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Mate Wierdl wrote:

> > > You may have missed my original post, it compiles fine. Sshd is
> > > not able to find passwords for some reason and the logging
> > > feature in sshd_config does not seem to work in VERBOSE or
> > > DEBUG mode so I don't get very good error messages to work
> > > with.
> >
> > No I did not miss it, but I was not precise either.  I meant to say:
> > look at the spec file to see *how* to compile to make openss{h,l}
> > work.
>
> Thanks for your time but you are not addressing my question(s)
> about openssh. Like I previously stated to you, my RH product
> contains no references to ssh anything due to licenesing restrictions
> (RSA?).

Perhaps at this point you want to tell the list how you configured/compiled
openss{h,l}.  Seeing the exact command lines can give us hints.

Also, describing your system exactly can help, since we run openssh on
all kinds of systems.  I am running it on Solaris 2.6, 2.7, and Redhat
Linux 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2beta installed from customized rpms that do
not use rsaref.

> My questions have been concerned with how to enable debugging,
> etc. in openssh.

Part of the debugging is provided by openssh, but in your case you may
need the mailinglist as well.  But I think more info about your setup
is needed.

> If openssh is as flakey as it appears to be so
> far and lacks an adequate support/user base as it seems to, then
> it is a something I may want to avoid.

It certainly is not flaky, only the porting to various platforms
requires smoothing out.

> I am well aware I can ask RH about RH products.

Are you talking about RH=Redhat ?  If that is the case, what does
openssh have to do with RedHat?