Failed password

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Thu Mar 30 07:33:22 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 12:55:25PM -0800, Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Mate Wierdl wrote:
>
> > Perhaps at this point you want to tell the list how you configured/compiled
> > openss{h,l}.  Seeing the exact command lines can give us hints.
>
> I provided that info in my original post. I will be happy to provide
> any further details to anyone who requests something specific so
> as not to inundate the list with needless posts/information.

I am aware of your original post; it is

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=95421642721481&w=2

and I cannot find the line where you told us how you ran
configure/make of openssh, and config/make for openssl.

> > Also, describing your system exactly can help, since we run openssh on
> > all kinds of systems.  I am running it on Solaris 2.6, 2.7, and Redhat
> > Linux 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2beta installed from customized rpms that do
> > not use rsaref.
>
> See above comment.

Saying RH 6.1 is not enough obviously, since many of us run openssh on
RH 6.1 without a glitch.  So there must be something about your setup
that is special---or the way you compiled openss{h,l}.

> Yes, RH refers to Red Hat. Openssh does not have anything to do with
> Red Hat and that is what I was telling you in a private email becuase
> you are sending me private emails referring  me to Red Hat for info
> on how to compile Openssh on a Red Hat product.

I have never referred you to RH.  I told you to look at the openssh
and openssl rpm packages *made by openssh's maintainer*.  In
particular, to look at the spec file, which would tell you how openssh
can be compiled to make it work for sure on RH systems.

You decided not to use the rpms, and compile the progs yourself, but I
thought it is important info to those on the list who are trying to
help you to see that you are not using the "standard" rpm installation
on your RH system.  Hence I forwarded part of our conversation to the
openssh list.

I think in this case, you got upset, because you wanted to figure out
what is wrong with your ssh setup   by reading logs and running ssh in
debug mode, while I suggested to go back one step, and see how you
compiled ssh in the first place.

Best,

Mate
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis