OpenSSH-1.2.3: More info on ulimit problem

Jim Knoble jmknoble at pobox.com
Fri Mar 31 20:04:25 EST 2000

På 2000-Mar-31 klokka 19:42:52 +1000 skrivet Damien Miller:

: On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Jim Knoble wrote:
:
: > I'm mystified.  Damien, can you confirm whether anything similar to
: > this is happening for you under RHL-6.1?
:
: I can't replicate this - a pam_deny.so will indeed lock me out.
:
: You don't have an old binary floating around?

I'm certain i don't; i've never installed ssh or openssh with anything
but RPM on this system (or any other software, for that matter).

: What does "ident `which sshd` | grep pam" say?

Hmmm ... this is interesting:

  $ sudo which sshd
  /usr/sbin/sshd
  $ ident /usr/sbin/sshd |grep pam
  $

Also interesting:

  $ strings /usr/sbin/sshd |grep pam
  libpam.so.0
  $

[pause] Nope, no 'pam' anywhere in sshd.  Lack of pam stuff in sshd is
obviously the cause of the mysterious behavior i'm seeing, but i'm
rather stumped as to why the pam portion of sshd should think it's
permissible to quietly walk off set during production.

[pause for configuring and compiling of openssh under observation] How
suspicious.  A newly compiled binary includes the 'auth-pam' module.
Time for rpm --rebuild.

I'm still rather mystified, but the fault clearly lies somewhere
between chair and magnetic medium.  Chalk this one up to the gremlins.

--
jim knoble
jmknoble at pobox.com