openssh-2.0beta ssh_config Protocol parsing error.

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat May 6 08:12:01 EST 2000

> On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 12:21:47PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > It seems that openssh-2.0beta's ssh doesn't parse /etc/ssh/ssh_config (or
> > equivalent) properly.  If I add e.g. 'Protocol 2,1' there, ssh will just
> > complain '/etc/ssh/ssh_config line 30: garbage at end of line.'.  I've
> > tried changing the line, etc. but the error remains.
>
> options are parsed independent from the filename.

Ok, I didn't check ~/.ssh/config because I believed README.openssh2 and
thought it would of course work ;)

Anyway:
---
pekkas: /home/pekkas/.ssh$ more config
Protocol 1
pekkas: /home/pekkas/.ssh$ ssh box2.test
/home/pekkas/.ssh/config line 1: garbage at end of line.
---

Protocol isn't recognized.  It will work with 'ssh -o "Protocol 2"' or
'ssh -2' though.

> > Also, I didn't see any option to turn off those messages about 1023 vs
> > 1024 bit key size bug in SSH inc.'s ssh.  I'm not really interested in
> > getting them, and after a while they get boring -- and I don't think I'm
> > alone here. :)
>
> -q should turn the message off.  BTW, why not replace the broken keys?

That'd require contacting all remote systems with that problem, reassuring
replacing the keys is OK, etc.  It's a little too much hassle for so
little gain.

-q option is nice, but it does suppress some other messages too -- even
some you might want to see if they'd come across.  Some option, like
WarnAboutWrongHostKeysize, in ssh_config would probably be nice.

Regards,
--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"