List opening

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Wed May 10 00:18:05 EST 2000

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:01:46PM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> The mailing list is now open to outside posters again. We haven't been
> spammed in the last month or so since the list was closed.
>
> If anyone can suggest a way to use the MAPS RBL with Postfix and
> Majordomo (without turning it on the whole server), it would be much
> appreciated.

I doubt it will be possible to do this without modifying the postfix source.
RBL lookup is performed with regard to the client connecting to the
mailserver, so postfix must handle it. When the mail has reached majordomo
it is already too late.
Performing it with postfix would be a more or less difficult thing.
In postfix-xxxx/smtpd/smtpd_check.c you will find a function
"reject_maps_rbl(SMTPD_STATE *state)".
The "state" variable at this point has a member "state->recipient".
I know that it would be a crude hack but probably good enough to insert
at the beginning of reject_maps_rbl():

if (strcasecmp(state->recipient, "openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org")) {
	/* Not to the mailing list, skip the RBL test */
	return(DUNNO);
}

So only if the mailing-list recipient is met, RBL is applied...

No, it is neither elegant nor perfect, but the worst case is that the
match does fail and RBL is not checked, so it cannot do worse than now...

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/