OpenSSH 2.1.0+OpenSSL 0.9.5a+RSAref 2.0 trouble

Ian R. Justman ianj at chocobo.org
Sun May 14 16:37:12 EST 2000

Hello.

I have been having trouble configuring the source code for the
abovementioned.  I have to use RSARef as I'm a resident of the USA, so I
can avoid patent violation.

The configure script fails to see the OpenSSL+RSAref mix on three
different platforms, including the following:

FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE (Which has its own port, but I wanted to try it there
to see if I could reliably reproduce the problem I'm experiencing under
the following two platforms)
Slackware Linux 7.0
S.u.S.E. Linux 6.4

The code which correctly compiles and links but fails is the following
excerpt from config.log (the compiler/linker flags are different on each
different platform, e.g. Slackware doesn't use PAM while FreeBSD and
S.u.S.E. do, but the results are the same):

configure:2051: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/ssl/include   -L/usr/l
ocal/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/ssl conftest.c -lz  -lutil -lpam -lcrypto -lRSAglue -l
rsaref 1>&5
configure: failed program was:
#line 2032 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <string.h>
#include <openssl/rand.h>
#include <openssl/rsa.h>
#include <openssl/bn.h>
#include <openssl/sha.h>
int main(void)
{
        RSA *key; char a[2048],b[2048];;
        memset(a, 0, sizeof(a));memset(b, 0, sizeof(b));
        RAND_add(a, sizeof(a), sizeof(a));
        key=RSA_generate_key(32,3,NULL,NULL);
 --->   if (key==NULL) return(1);
        return(-1==RSA_private_decrypt(RSA_size(key),a,b,key,RSA_NO_PADDING));
}

The arrowhead points to the line that fails.

I built this exact code on a Linux system, then wrote a Perl wrapper to
get the return code.  I got the 1 return code per that arrowheaded line.

It should also be noted that I used the standard RSARef 2.0 code with and
without the modulus bug patch, and RSARef 1.0 (from PGP 2.6.2).  All
yielded identical results.

Any suggestions?

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks in advance.

--Ian.

-----
Ian R. Justman 	         Postmaster, System Administrator, ChocoboNet
ianj at chocobo.org (home)  ianj at calweb.com (work)  NIC handle:  IJ12
ICQ UIN# 14925819        UNIX system administrator by trade

"An upset Windows NT administrator should be laughed at.
 An upset UNIX administrator should be deeply feared."
 --Me.

Hard Disk Drive: n:  Future windchimes