OpenSSH-2.1: FROM in 'w' empty?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed May 17 08:59:47 EST 2000

> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Damien Miller wrote:
>
> > It works for me. Can you describe your environment some more?
>
> I have the same problems. FROM field in utmp/wtmp are empty, but in
> lastlog is ok...
>
> System is Slackware 7.0 (glic-2.1.2).

I figured this out.  When merging stuff to create portable openssh, it
seems some autoconf stuff got changed and this causes the breakage.
I didn't do a complete analysis of this (because my eye isn't
autoconf-trained and it looked like a mess (playing with ossh_cv_* and
ac_cv_* in 'configure').

It seems that if you don't have utmpx.h and your utmp.h does contain
connecting hostname, autoconf doesn't configure required options AT ALL.
Only utmp definition by autoconf in here was '#define HAVE_UTMP_H 1'
Adding these (as created properly in 2.0beta1) to config.h afterwards made
the compiling go well, and the bug disappeared:

-----
#define HAVE_HOST_IN_UTMP 1
#define HAVE_ADDR_IN_UTMP 1
#define HAVE_ADDR_V6_IN_UTMP 1
#define HAVE_PID_IN_UTMP 1
#define HAVE_TYPE_IN_UTMP 1
#define HAVE_TV_IN_UTMP 1
#define HAVE_ID_IN_UTMP 1
-----

Of course, this isn't the "proper" way to do this, but at least the
problem is pinpointed to configure script making wrong decisions now..

Regards,
--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"