SSH v2 known-hosts problem.

Berend De Schouwer bds at jhb.ucs.co.za
Fri May 19 01:04:34 EST 2000

When I connect from machine A to machine B, using ssh protocol 2, both
running openssh2.1.0, there is a problem with comparing server DSA
public keys to ~/.ssh/known_hosts2.

The first time, it says
The authenticity of host 'B' can't be established.
DSA key fingerprint is blah-blah-blah
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

If I type 'yes', it gets added to ~/.ssh/known_hosts2.
(as it should).  An entry gets added like:
B,1.2.3.4 ssh-dss blah-blah-blah

However, if I disconnect and connect again, it still says:
The authenticity of host 'B' can't be established.
DSA key fingerprint is blah-blah-blah
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

If I say yes, it creates an identical second line to
~/.ssh/known_hosts2.  Somewhere a comparison isn't working.

An strace indicates that the ssh client indeed reads
~/.ssh/known-hosts2.  The entry looks like the system B
ssh_host_dsa_key.pub, so I assume the server is sending its DSA key.

--
Kind regards,
Berend