X11 Forwarding and Red Hat

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Fri May 19 02:02:29 EST 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:35:48AM -0400, Matthew C. Weigel wrote:

> 	It might help [a lot] if you were more specific about what the
> problems were that you were experiencing and not so much about what you
> think is wrong.

Well, judging from the archives, this is exactly the problem.  For your
perusal:

$ ssh -v
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL.

When connected to the Red Hat 6.2 system (synapse) running OpenSSH from an
O2 running regular ssh:

$ xterm
X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication at Thu May 18
11:59:20 2000.
Rejected connection at Thu May 18 11:59:20 2000: X11 connection from synapse
port 3439

X connection to synapse:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

>   I'm also having problems with X11 forwarding in OpenSSH
> 2.1.0 (which I don't THINK occured in 1.2.3) and it has nothing to
> do with $XAUTHORITY.  What are the errors that you are experiencing?

The error which, it is claimed in the archives, is directly attributable to
Red Hat clobbering $XAUTHORITY: it is set automatically to
/home/weigel/.Xauthority when I log in, but sshd sets it to
/tmp/ssh-randomstring/cookies.  I'm not familiar enough ssh to know why this
is a problem, but it is.

> 	Oh...  And, BTW, if you are loading OpenSSH 2.1.0, I noticed that
> both of the new config files have X forwarding disabled.  That was the
> first thing I got burned on after upgrading my ssh*_config files.

I checked my config files and I'm not running 2.1.0 yet.

 Matthew Weigel
 Programmer/Sysadmin/Student
 weigel+ at pitt.edu