X11 Forwarding and Red Hat

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Fri May 19 02:50:35 EST 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> 	I've got a pretty vanilla RedHat setup...  Here is what I see between
> my two systems (Alcove is RedHat 6.1 and Canyon is RedHat 6.2):
>
> [mhw at alcove mhw]$ set | grep XAUTH
> XAUTHORITY=/home/mhw/.Xauthority
> You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/mhw
> [mhw at alcove mhw]$ ssh canyon
> Last login: Tue May 16 16:17:38 2000
> [mhw at canyon mhw]$ set | grep XAUTH
> XAUTHORITY=/tmp/ssh-zZvc2528/cookies
> [mhw at canyon mhw]$
>
> 	Ok...  My RedHat 6.2 did NOT clobber my XAUTHORITY variable.
> Have you checked your ".profile" and ".bashrc" files?  You might also
> check /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc files.  I don't have anything in any
> of those files, but something in there could commit that act of terrorism
> on you.

No settings in my login scripts.  Hmmm... Actually, it would appear mine
isn't being clobbered either... I could have sworn it was yesterday.

The problem is still there, but $XAUTHORITY seems correct when I ssh in.

> 	You are right about XAUTHORITY.  If that gets screwed (or the
> .Xauthority is hosed) then you get the "wrong authentication" that you
> see.  That was the tidbit (the error message) that I needed to know.

So, have any idea how to fix it?  Would upgrading to 2.1.0 fix it, or just
give me your problem <g>?

 Matthew Weigel
 Programmer/Sysadmin/Student
 weigel+ at pitt.edu