OpenSSH-2.1: FROM in 'w' empty?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu May 25 10:30:46 EST 2000

Yo All!

I just tried to connect to an OpenSSH 2.1.0p2 server from a
SecureCRT 3.0.3 client using ssh2 protocol.  The server is on Linux
and the client is on Win98.  It did not work.  ssh1 protocol works.
And yes, I set SecureCRT to 3DES/MD5 and 3DES/SHA1 with the server
type set to "standard".  So at least I am not repeating that mistake.

SecureCRT says:
"Corrupt or invalid host key or algorithm"

See below for a debug dump of the server side.

The only odd thing about my setup is a 2048 bit host key.  Could
that be a problem?  Any ideas?

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676

# sshd -d -p 240

debug: sshd version OpenSSH-2.1
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: read DSA private key done
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Bind to port 240 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 240.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Seeding random number generator
RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 208.139.26.70 port 1749
debug: Client protocol version 2.0; client software version 3.0 SecureCRT (tm), a product of Van Dyke Technologies, Inc.
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH-2.1
debug: Sending KEX init.
debug: done
debug: got kexinit string: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug: got kexinit string: ssh-dss
debug: got kexinit string: 3des-cbc
debug: got kexinit string: 3des-cbc
debug: got kexinit string: hmac-md5
debug: got kexinit string: hmac-md5
debug: got kexinit string: none
debug: got kexinit string: none
debug: got kexinit string:
debug: got kexinit string:
debug: first kex follow == 0
debug: reserved == 0
debug: done read kexinit
debug: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT.
debug: bits set: 508/1024
debug: bits set: 488/1024
debug: sig size 20 20
debug: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
Received disconnect: 2: Corrupt or invalid host key or algorithm.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x805c49c(0x0)