Unable to use rdist in parrellel mode with 2.1.0p2 ...

Marc G. Fournier marc.fournier at acadiau.ca
Wed May 31 02:40:55 EST 2000

Morning all ...

	using the following command to sync up the binaries on several
machines:

	rdist -P /usr/slocal/bin/ssh -Rf /root/sync-systems

	generates the following error message(s):

jasper: updating host jasper
hermes: updating host hermes
attila: updating host attila
hercules: updating host hercules
".rcules: LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected input from server: "Couldn't initialise builtin random number generator -- exiting.
hercules: updating of hercules finished
".rmes: LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected input from server: "Couldn't initialise builtin random number generator -- exiting.
hermes: updating of hermes finished
webster: updating host webster
iceberg: updating host iceberg
".sper: LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected input from server: "Couldn't initialise builtin random number generator -- exiting.
jasper: updating of jasper finished
".eberg: LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected input from server: "Couldn't initialise builtin random number generator -- exiting.
hawk: updating host hawk
iceberg: updating of iceberg finished
".bster: LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected input from server: "Couldn't initialise builtin random number generator -- exiting.
webster: updating of webster finished
dalmation: updating host dalmation
owl: updating host owl
".wk: LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected input from server: "Couldn't initialise builtin random number generator -- exiting.
hawk: updating of hawk finished
".lmation: LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected input from server: "Couldn't initialise builtin random number generator -- exiting.
dalmation: updating of dalmation finished

	If I change the -Rf to -RFf, to force it to do one at a time, it
will work ... even narrowing it down to only 2 hosts at once generates the
same errors ...

	This is on a Solaris 7/sparc machine ... contention for the
entropy pool? *raised eyebrow*

Thanks ..

Marc G. Fournier                                 marc.fournier at acadiau.ca
Senior Systems Administrator                            Acadia University

  "These are my opinions, which are not necessarily shared by my employer"