Free Sun patch 105710-01 provides /dev/random on Solaris (fwd)

Jason Fortezzo fortezzo at directlink.net
Sun Nov 12 15:37:04 EST 2000

At 07:41 PM 11/11/2000, you wrote:
 >Can anyone verify this and provide a URL for the docs?

You can get it via SunSolve,
ftp://sunsolve.sun.com/pub/patches/105710-01.tar.Z.

There are a few catches, mind you.
1)  The patch in question only works for SunOS 5.5.1 and 5.6
2)  This patch is the international version, I don't
       think it matters one bit for the /dev/random functionality tho.

The patch contains multiple Solaris packages, you only
need to install SUNWski, however.  The only file you truly
need in the package is /usr/lib/security/cryptorand, the
rest is fluff.  You also need the /var/etc directory to exist.

I've been using the /dev/random thing for months now and it
works great.  One thing that concerns me is the "randomness"
of the data, better than nothing I guess.  I tried calling up Sun
(with my platinum support no less) and they were completely
clueless about the whole /dev/random thing and only after
several days were they able to find any reference to it.  So I
reckon asking them about the "randomness" would be an excercise
in futility.

Jason Fortezzo
fortezzo at directlink.net
PGP Key: http://mysite.directlink.net/fortezzo/pgpkey
---
If you have any trouble sounding condescending,
find a Unix user to show you how it's done.
                     --Scott Adams