having some trouble using another user's RSA/DSA keys

Jim Breton jamesb-lists at alongtheway.com
Wed Nov 15 06:55:55 EST 2000

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 09:08:44PM +0100, Markus Friedl wrote:
> i can confirm that from="blablabla" works with DSA keys in openssh-2.3.x

Thanks.  :)  I am now running OpenSSH-2.3.0 and authenticating against
an ssh.com server, however I believe there is some problem with the
OpenSSH client code.  The problem of the unnecessary warnings seems to
have gone away with this release, but I still am unable to use someone
else's key for authentication.

If I use the following command line:

root at tarkin:~# ssh -v -2 -l jamesb -i /home/jamesb/.ssh/id_dsa remotehost

I would expect root to connect to "remotehost," as userid "jamesb,"
using jamesb's id_dsa key.

However, take a look at this output:

debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug: next auth method to try is publickey
debug: key does not exist: /root/.ssh/id_dsa ### this doesn't make sense!
debug: next auth method to try is password
jamesb at remotehost's password:

Notice that it's still trying to use root's DSA key, despite my -i
switch.

If anyone knows a decent reason for this to happen please let me know.
:)  If I get time later I will also try this on my OpenBSD-2.8 snapshot
box and see if it's an upstream problem as well.