OpenSSH entropy/PRNG (was: Why does ssh try to run df, netstat, arp ...?)

Loomis, Rip GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com
Sat Nov 18 00:20:24 EST 2000

Nico--
SSH is trying to "get entropy" by taking the
(somewhat-deterministic) output of a bunch of
system commands, on those OSs that don't provide
a /dev/random or its equivalent.

The commands that it uses are in /etc/ssh_prng_cmds
or its equivalent on your system; just comment
out any of the lines (and stop/restart SSHd) in order
to change which system commands are used as inputs
to the Pseudo Random Noise Generator.  For our
network here, for example, I have commented out
the call to arp since that one change decreases
SSH session startup time significantly on our
Solaris boxen.

Related question:
Is anyone actively trying to get Yarrow or some other
algorithmic source of entropy into OpenSSH?  I suppose
this is really a question for the OpenSSL folks...

Rip Loomis		Voice Number: (410) 953-6874
Senior Security Engineer
Center for Information Security Technology
http://www.cist.saic.com