To Do list...

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sat Nov 18 12:44:05 EST 2000

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Tim Rice wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > > Support systems that do not have 64bit int and do not have long long.
> >
> > This would uglify such code massively.  Are there systems that have a
> > reasonable user base and can not use gcc (which has long long on all 32
> > bit platforms)?
>
> I really don't have a clue about the size of the user base.
> The platforms I know about are the vendor supplied compilers
> for UnixWare 2.0x, UnixWare 2.1.x & SCO Open Server 5.
> I just don't like the idea of requiring gcc when the system
> allready has a perfectly good C compiler.

I'm sure you have more of a user base then the NeXT Port. =)  I can count
all of them on almost one hand.

> In the case ot SCO Open Server 5, the compiler is an additional
> cost item so many people will just load gcc.
> I purposly do not load gcc on my systems that I have the vendor's
> development system on so I can make sure that software works with
> the vendor's compiler. I have gcc on SCO 3.2v4.2, Solaris 7, Caldera
> eDesktop 2.x, & RedHat 6.2. But I use the vendor's development
> system on UnixWare 2.03, UnixWare 2.1.3, UnixWare 7.1.0, & SCO Open
> Server 5.0.4.
>
> I usually don't send any portability patches untill i've tested
> on all of those systems. But now three of them will not even
> compile the first program.

What does SCO's compiler use for 64bit?

Only sftp-server.c uses 64bit integers.  I guess one could disable
sftp-server for platforms like SCO that lack a current 64bit
integer implementation.

I'm not a fan of temporary patches.  They don't always get cleaned out,
but I think it may be better then just outright failing.

- Ben