SSH1 tunneling problems.

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.net
Thu Nov 23 10:36:45 EST 2000

>I've noticed this same problemm using local forwarding via OpenSSH in SSH1
>mode, both 2.3.0p1 and 2.2.0p1. The problem is that the tunnel (actually
>the entire ssh session) freezes periodically if the tunnel has several TCP
>connections initiated within a short period of time, and the ssh session
>must be broken and restarted.

As I regularly websurf over a SSH tunnel, I've seen this exact problem
occur *many many* times, and for many OpenSSH versions prior to
2.3.0. In fact, it has occurred ever since I switched from the
original SSH to OpenSSH. This is also on Linux 2.2.17.

Good to hear that using ssh2 is a workaround; I'll try that.

Phil