OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 on Solaris 2.7 fails to compile

Kai Schlichting kai at pac-rim.net
Tue Oct 3 09:30:03 EST 2000

Greetings. I am a non-sub, but I read/searched the archive: I just can't
for the life of it get OpenSSH to even *configure* on a Solaris 2.7
machine (UltraSparc-2).

While minor difficulties (such as the --with-ssl-dir option somehow
not fully working, as includes fail to see <openssl/rand.h> , easily
overridden with a well-placed link from /opt/openssl -> /usr/local/ssl)
have been overcome (and I have built the package on Linux and BSDI
a few dozen times since 1.2), some compilation problem goes over my head:

Why are RAND_ symbols failing?

config.log says:

configure:2862: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/openssl/include   -L/usr/loc
al/lib -R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib -L/opt/openssl/lib -L/opt/openssl -R/opt/openssl/
lib -R/opt/openssl conftest.c -ldl -lsocket -lnsl -lz  -lpam -lcrypto 1>&5
configure: In function `main':
configure:2856: warning: implicit declaration of function `RAND_add'
configure:2857: warning: implicit declaration of function `RAND_status'
RAND_add                            /var/tmp/ccHZaWXy1.o
RAND_status                         /var/tmp/ccHZaWXy1.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure: failed program was:
#line 2848 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <string.h>
#include <openssl/rand.h>
int main(void)
{
        char a[2048];
        memset(a, 0, sizeof(a));
        RAND_add(a, sizeof(a), sizeof(a));
        return(RAND_status() <= 0);
}

This is with GNU Make version 3.77 and gcc version 2.8.1.
I am suspecting that something is still wrong with the linking of
the crypto lib here (if Kerberos really supplied one, as one of the
articles mentioned, why can't I find it?).

Thanks for any hints,
bye,Kai