OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 on Solaris 2.7 fails to compile

Nico De Ranter nico at sonycom.com
Wed Oct 4 18:56:03 EST 2000

Howdy,

I've tried a few things more but still got the same results :-(:

1. tried openssl-0.9.5a in stead of 0.9.6 but that didn't make a difference
2. check filesystem for other libcrypto.*, coudln't find any (if I remove
   the libcrypto.a from openssl the compilation doesn't work at all anymore
   so I figure he is trying to use the correct library)

faro[nico]$ ls -l /usr/local.host/lib
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         26 Oct  4 09:34 libcrypto.a -> ../app/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         23 Oct  4 09:34 libssl.a -> ../app/ssl/lib/libssl.a
You have new mail in /net/primus/mail/spool/nico
faro[nico]$ ld -L/usr/local.host/lib -R/usr/local.host/lib -L/usr/ucblib -R/usr/ucblib -ldl -lsocket -lnsl -lz  -lpam -lcrypto conftest.o
RAND_add                            conftest.o
RAND_status                         conftest.o
memset                              conftest.o  (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/lib/libc.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

    I checked config.log and all compilations with the ssl libs give exactly the
    same error messages

3. I also tried putting the openssl libraries and stuff in the default locations (/usr/local/...)
but that gave the same errors.
4. Also tried compiling shared libraries for openssl (but I prefer staticly linked libs for security
reasons) but that doesn't help either.

If I do a "strings" of the libcrypto.a library, RAND_add and RAND_status are
indeed there.

Snif... what am I doing wrong.

Nico

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 09:01:43AM +0200, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 07:52:01AM +0200, Nico De Ranter wrote:
> > I have the same problem here on Solaris 8 using openssl 0.9.6.  Solaris 2.6
> > was apparently not a problem :-(
>
> I have HP-UX, so I only can guess on what is going on.
>
> First, there was a problem in openssh-2.2.0p1 in that it did not honor
> the --with-ssl-dir flag if there was an openssl installed in the systems
> standard location for libraries and includes (like /usr/lib). This was
> changed for the latest snapshot.
> Second, as already pointed out in this thread, at least OpenSSL 0.9.5a is
> needed. We don't know, whether this applies for the original poster.
> Third, the snippet posted (and you say that you have the same problem)
> implies, that a libcrypto.* was found (otherwise the error message would
> have stated that libcryto could not be found), but it did not contain the
> RAND_* functions. For this very reason, you should look out whether you ran
> into another incompatible libcrypto being part of some other package.
>
> There is another point in configure, that probably cannot be solved. The
> configuration test tries to compile, link and run the test file. As
> configure is testing several locations for openssl, it is probably not the
> last entry in config.log that shows up the real error message.
>
> Hope this helps in narrowing down the problem,
> 	Lutz
> --
> Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
> BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/
> Lehrstuhl Allgemeine Elektrotechnik                  Tel. +49 355 69-4129
> Universitaetsplatz 3-4, D-03044 Cottbus              Fax. +49 355 69-4153

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/DME-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter at sonycom.com