binding to privileged ports

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Tue Oct 10 06:25:35 EST 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Markus Friedl wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 12:14:30AM +0100, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> > This creates problems in environments where a range of privileged ports
> > (those which correspond to well-known services) are firewalled out,
> > leaving the range from ~850 to 1023 available. From this point of view, it
> > would seem desirable to count downwards as stock ssh does, rather than
> > upwards.
> >
> > What is the reasoning behind this decision?
>
> i did not know that i causes problems.

It's a bit of a special case, but I think quite a few firewalls are
constructed in this way.

> however, you can use 'echo useprivilegedports no' > ~/.ssh/config
> if you don't want to allocate ports < 1024.

Certainly. But this wasn't my point -- what if I want RSARhosts etc. to
still work?

Chris Lightfoot -- http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/
  "I have a demonstration...  but we'll leave it to the end because
  I can't really carry on after it, as you will see."
  (Physics lecture, on nuclear weapons)