Cipher 'none'

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Oct 14 16:49:31 EST 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Rob Hagopian wrote:

> If session encryption is so important why isn't everyone using ssl
> for http for the web?

The high costs of RSA key generation for each new client that need
to connect - not a characteristic shared with ssh.

I am not still convinced of the need for 'Ciphers none'. I just don't
like the idea of ssh having a mode without any crypto. Markus?

BTW Rijndael (in the new snapshot) is very quick. 3.2Mbps for 256bit
keys, 4Mbps for 128bit keys. I am sure that this will improve as
people put effort into optimising it further.

-d