Cipher 'none'

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Oct 14 23:30:08 EST 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:

> I did similar tests on my P2/266 system to see how fast aes128-cbc and
> rijndael128-cbc were.  These were conducted with a 10 MB data off
> /dev/urandom:

You are probably better off using 10Mb hole, so disk IO and buffer
caches don't affect the results. This is what I use:

#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
int main(void)
{
	int f;
	char c = 0;
	f = open("hole", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC);
	lseek(f, (10*1024*1024) - 1, SEEK_CUR);
	write(f, &c, 1);
	close(f);
	exit(0);
}

> (I timed scp to localhost using an empty file to get the authentication
> overhead, then timed with the real file)

I just used the number of seconds reported by scp, so your methodology
is probably a bit better here :)

-d