regex libraries and NeXT.

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sun Oct 15 11:47:02 EST 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Ben Lindstrom wrote:

> compat.c just moved to regular expressions, and NeXT lacks any real
> implementation (yes we have regex.h, but it's very pre-posix =).
>
> Outside of rx-1.5.tar.gz from FSF.  Does anyone have any other suggestion
> any better library to detect and use if the base OS lacks any real regex
> implementation?

PCRE[1] is an excellent library, but it may be overkill for what you
need. Then again, you will probably be needing regex code for other
things as well.

You will need to add some configure glue to only detect and use
pcreposix.h and libpcreposix.a if a system regex library is not
present.

-d

[1] ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/pcre/