[Fwd: OpenSSH - scp - transfer rate patch] (fwd)

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat Oct 21 03:03:12 EST 2000

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Jim Knoble wrote:

> Circa 2000-Oct-20 09:07:12 +0300 dixit Pekka Savola:
>
> : Speaking of scp and ETA, it'd appear to be calculating ETA a bit
> : off.  This can be seen when scp'ing over a slower link.  After the counter
> : hits 100%, scp still transfers for like 4-5 seconds.  Anyone else note
> : this?
>
> Me Too(tm).  I suspect this may be due to operating system buffering
> and hence beyond the control of OpenSSH.

Well.

When I was talking about slow, I mean slow compared to 100Mbit/s
FE :-).  Here, 256kbit/s link is used.

A transfer of a 750 KB file.  Scp counters _begin_ at 29%, keep in 100%
for like 3-4 seconds.  During that time, last 135 _kilobytes_ are
transferred.

Large buffers, if that's it.

I wager the counter is about that 29% off in this case.

Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi      not those you stumble over and fall"