openssh problem on SGI 6.5 platform

Brian Biswas bbiswas at email.unc.edu
Sat Oct 21 07:15:17 EST 2000

We are in the process of converting over to openssh at UNC.

I've built openssh 2.20p1 for all supported platforms at UNC:

AIX 4.3
AIX 4.2
Linux 2.2
Solaris 2.7
Solaris 2.6
SGI 6.5

We been running for about a month now and have only one reported
problem--which came up today:

When running ssh on a machine running SGI 6.5 you get the following error:

%ssh overlord
rsa_public_encrypt() exponent too small or not odd

I see that this error message is coming from procedure rsa_public_encrypt()
in file rsa.c, but I can't figure out what is wrong. Any idea what might be
causing this
problem? The problem occurs if you are running an old sshd or an openssh
sshd. I can run
ssh 1.2.26 fine on this platform.

Here is the output of openssh's ssh -v:

====================================

SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug: Seeded RNG with 31 bytes from programs
debug: Seeded RNG with 3 bytes from system calls
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 52057 geteuid 58732 anon 1
debug: Connecting to overlord [152.2.1.127] port 22.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version 1.2.26
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Host 'overlord' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug: Seeded RNG with 31 bytes from programs
debug: Seeded RNG with 3 bytes from system calls
rsa_public_encrypt() exponent too small or not odd
debug: Calling cleanup 0x1003cb88(0x0)
debug: Calling cleanup 0x1003bd78(0x0)
debug: writing PRNG seed to file
/afs/isis.unc.edu/home/b/b/bbiswas/.ssh/prng_seed

We can't completely convert to openssh at UNC until this problem is solved
(obviously!).
Thanks for any help you can give.

--Brian Biswas
Academic technology & Networks