assorted issues with 2.1.1p4...

James Ralston qralston+ml.openssh-unix-dev at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 1 08:27:29 EST 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, James Ralston wrote:
> >
> > 4.  If X11 forwarding is being used, and an X11 application is
> >     being forwarded across the secure channel, occasionally
> >     shutting down that application causes the sshd process to
> >     crash.
> >
> > I've made an attempt to look at issue #4, but so far, I've been
> > unable to catch the sshd process in the act of crashing; it seems
> > that the problem doesn't occur when the sshd process in question
> > is being traced.  I'm not even sure what signal sshd is dying on.
> > I'll report back once I have more definite information, but until
> > then, has anyone run into what they think might be the same
> > problem?
>
> Do you mean that the main sshd process dies, or the one handling your
> connection?

The one that's handling my connection dies.

> For what it's worth, when doing heavy X11Forwarding, the latter
> happens to me almost daily. Connecting with SecureCRT 3.1 to
> commercial SSH-1.2.25.  I've only noticed this with SecureCRT (not
> that I do much X11 forwarding from anywhere else).
>
> So this might be a little more generic problem ...

Perhaps.  But I've *never* had this problem with any of the ssh 1.2.x
packages.  And I didn't have this problem when I was using OpenSSH to
connect to a ssh 1.2.27 server.  I only saw this problem when I
started using OpenSSH to connect to an OpenSSH server.

Like I said, I haven't been able to figure out what's happening,
because every time I trace the sshd and try to reproduce the problem,
I never can.  For all I know, this could be the SIGPIPE problem that
others have already reported...

James