unable to install openssh 2.1.1.p4

Matt Wolinski mwolinski at mimecom.com
Sat Sep 2 04:55:00 EST 2000

Hello,

I am having a problem running the configure for my openssh install
(version 2.1.1p4).  I have installed a new version of openssl (0.9.5a).
This is the error I am receiving:

checking for login in -lbsd... no
checking for daemon... no
checking for daemon in -lbsd... no
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking whether snprintf correctly terminates long strings... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for pam_getenvlist... yes
checking whether pam_strerror takes only one argument... no
checking for OpenSSL directory... configure: error: Could not find
working SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries, please install

I have read several archived messages about similar problems and found
no solution.  I tried installing symlinks in /usr/local/lib for both
libcrypto.a and libssl.a pointing to my /usr/local/ssl/lib directory.  I
also tried installing symlinks in the /usr/local/ssl for both
libraries.  Here is the last 50 or so lines from my config.log.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

configure:2795: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include
-I/opt/include   -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/ucblib
-R/usr/ucblib -L/opt/lib -L/opt -R/opt/lib -R/opt conftest.c -ldl
-lsocket -lnsl -lz  -lpam -lcrypto 1>&5
RAND_add                            /var/tmp/ccpfsjNB.o
RAND_status                         /var/tmp/ccpfsjNB.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 2781 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <string.h>
#include <openssl/rand.h>
int main(void)
{
        char a[2048];
        memset(a, 0, sizeof(a));
        RAND_add(a, sizeof(a), sizeof(a));
        return(RAND_status() <= 0);
}

configure:2795: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include
-I/opt/openssl/include   -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib -L/usr/ucblib
-R/usr/ucblib -L/opt/openssl/lib -L/opt/openssl -R/opt/openssl/lib
-R/opt/openssl conftest.c -ldl -lsocket -lnsl -lz  -lpam -lcrypto 1>&5
RAND_add                            /var/tmp/cc4cZDdz.o
RAND_status                         /var/tmp/cc4cZDdz.o