openssh installation success

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Mon Sep 4 15:49:40 EST 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> blowfish cbc   7039.12k     8260.75k     8143.49k   8283.14k 8298.50k
>
> But I am not sure what this is telling me. My modem is a little bit
> elderly and slow, by the way, which may explain why my numbers are
> smaller than yours.

This is the speed of the encryption algorithm itself on your system,
it does not include any of the other factors (getting the data to
encrypt, speed of the network, etc).

I quoted that numbers to demonstrate that the overhead that a fast
algorithm imposes is small enough that there is little point in not
using it (in response to your question of whether it is possible to
disable encryption in OpenSSH for performance).

-d