installing OpenSSH rpm on SuSE 6.2

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Tue Sep 5 03:25:29 EST 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, James Ralston wrote:

> IMO, it's very unlikely that chkconfig won't be installed on your
> system, as many things depend on it.

I just did a little investigating. It appears that the chkconfig
package is a fundamental system utility on Redhat and its
functionality is replaced on SuSE by completely different things
(I'm not sure what). I don't think there is any easy fix for
this. chkconfig *cannot* be installed on my system, since it would
conflict with all kinds of things. Can someone confirm this?

It looks as if the server rpm would have to be redesigned for
SuSE. Fortunately, I don't need the server rpm.

IMHO it is unfortunate that the different Linux distributions cannot
attempt to maintain more of a standard. This kind of Balkanisation does
nobody any good.

                            Best regards, Faheem Mitha.