No controlling tty. Cannot read passphrase

Matt Wolinski mwolinski at MimEcom.com
Wed Sep 6 04:55:28 EST 2000

Hello,

I have installed openssh (2.1.1p4)and openssl (0.9.5a) on a Solaris 7 sparc
box.  When I try to use scp this is the error I am getting:

You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.

lost connection.

I have read that this could be a permissions problem with /dev/tty.  But my
system looks different than any of the examples.  Here is what I'm seeing:

$ ls -l /dev/tty
lrwxrwxrwx  1  root    other        26  Aug 23 15:38 /dev/tty ->
../devices/pseudo/sy at 0:tty
$ ls -l /devices/pseudo/sy at 0:tty
crw-rw-rw  1   root   tty   22,   0  Sep 5 10:43  /devices/pseudo/sy at 0:tty

In the examples I read about, they did not show /dev/tty as a symlink.
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Wolinski