scp -2 patch

Will Day willday at rom.oit.gatech.edu
Sat Sep 9 07:31:59 EST 2000

A short time ago, at a computer terminal far, far away, Damien Miller wrote:
>> I'm not all that concerned about consistency, but I would like to see a
>> -2 switch on both ssh and scp.  I've got a network with around 150 *NIX
>> systems running a mix of OpenSSH, commercial ssh1 and commercial ssh2,
>> and I'd like to be able to force a protocol 2 connection when I need it.
>
>Does OpenSSH's protocol fallback not work correctly?

No, it works correctly, but there are times when you want to override the
protocol order,

>Otherwise you can use ssh_config or ~/.ssh/config:
>
>Host foo
>	Protocol 1
>
>Host bar
>	Protocol 2

without going in an editing your .ssh/config only to edit it back again for
a go or two.

>This takes care of both ssh and scp. Though I do agree with Markus that
>a '-o' scp option is the way to go.

A "-1" or "-2" is just so convenient - much more so than "-o Protocol 1",
and trivial to implement, although a "-o" option for scp would be useful
for other things as well.  And it's not like we're probably going to be
using the "1" or "2" option flags for anything else. :)  Ssh already has a
"-2", so it personally seems reasonable to just do the "-1" and "-2" all
around.  As I said, that's what I've done here.

It's a convenient, simple, trivial change, has no signficicant detriment,
and if others would find it useful, it seems like it'd be a Good Thing to
have.

--
Will Day     <PGP mail preferred>     OIT / O&E / Technical Support
willday at rom.oit.gatech.edu            Georgia Tech, Atlanta 30332-0715