-1 and friends

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat Sep 9 21:22:13 EST 2000

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 06:14:01PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > >
> > > I suspect you did not want to ask for "more orthogonality"...
> > Yes I did.  This is the lingo CPU designers us when they mean that
> > they want a class of instructions to look similar.
>
> Actually, "orthogonal" in mathemathics and physics means exactly the
> opposite: a set of vectors being orthogonal means all of them are at
> right angles to each others, the scalar product being zero...
>
> gert

Yes, but in computer sciences "orthogonal" means that all the
software components are independent of each other and that they behave the
same way in any circumstance (which was what the originating poster
meant).

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"