CryptoCard patch

Martin Forssen maf at appgate.com
Wed Sep 13 20:34:00 EST 2000

On 13 Sep, Hein Roehrig wrote:
> hh at sidereal.kz said:
>> I had a contractor write a patch to allow CryptoCard support in
>> OpenSSH. [...] Would it be possible to include this patch
>> in the official release?
>
> I think for platforms supporting PAM this patch is not necessary
> because you can just use the respective PAM module. Moreover,
> introducing new authentication types (instead of plugging into
> password or TIS authentication) always has the disadvantage of not
> interoperating with versions of ssh that have not been patched.

I agree 100%. This is also exactly why we wrote the keyboard-interactive
authentication protocol for ssh2. This protocol adds generic support for
all sorts of authentication methods which only needs to interact with
the user on the client-side. The user may then act as an interface to
whatever device one wishes to use.

	/MaF

PS I will submit a new and updated draft (error corrections only) of
keyboard-interactive as soon as I find the time.