Kerberos/AFS options in ssh/sshd while disabling them in configure

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Thu Sep 14 04:50:13 EST 2000

Dear OpenSSH developers,

Hello, I strongly support this suggestion ie. adding the sentence "This
option has been disabled at compile time" as appropriate. It would be even
more helpful if you said how to enable it (krb) at compile time. Remember,
this is the only documentation available.

I spent some time wondering about this before searching the archives.

Ok, while we are on the subject, I was wondering of the current state of
Kerberos support. I have SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1 for Linux. Is there
currently support for Krb4 or only for Krb5? Krb4 is only mentioned in
passing, and I think this is something else you could usefully make clear
in your man pages.

Thank you for your time. Please note that I am not currently subscribed to
openssh-unix-dev.

                        Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.

Hello all,

If you don't compile in Kerberos, AFS etc. support, the ssh/sshd man page
still mentions them as valid options, and ssh/sshd complains loudly and
refuses to run if you set options about them in ssh_config or sshd_config.

I'm not sure if this is the intended (or good?) behaviour.

Should it be better to modify the man pages when ./configuring too?  Like,
adding a small sentence about stuff disabled at compile time.  An example:

     KerberosTgtPassing
             Specifies whether a Kerberos TGT will be forwarded to the
server.
             This will only work if the Kerberos server is actually an AFS
             kaserver.  The argument to this keyword must be ``yes'' or
             ``no''. This option has been disabled at compile time.

What do you think? :)

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"