openssh-2.2.0p1-2 issue

Shane Owenby shane at collab.net
Sat Sep 16 11:53:33 EST 2000

I have checked the FAQ and the mailing list archives, but I haven't
been able to RTFM to solve my problem.  Thus turning to the dev list.

2.2.0p1 Changelog includes:
20000207
 - Removed SOCKS code. Will support through a ProxyCommand.

Relevant Mailing list archives:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=95803710921359&w=2
and
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=94681757108109&w=2

Show that SOCKS support has been an issue for the past few months.

Here are my questions:

1.  Has the ProxyCommand been implemented, and if so where are
instructions on how to use it? If no is anyone working on it?

2.  Why was the inferior method of 'socksify' chosen over proper
-lsocks support? (ie why was the Dante patch removed. It was useful)

Think of deploying OpenSSH to a group of 300 people.  If a person can be
given one set of binaries which works with SOCKS out of the box that is
much better than making them download and configure Dante as well as
OpenSSH. (assume a working socks config file is already on the box)

I will be happy to provide a patch to the FAQ once I understand the
issues and solution.

Thanks in advance for you time,

Shane Owenby
Shane at collab.net