OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 + Redhat 6.2 - Problem with scp

Peter Bates pbates at lto.nsw.gov.au
Mon Sep 18 17:44:23 EST 2000

Hi,
Chances are this is me stuffing something up, but in cases its not, this is
my problem.
I've just installed the latest port of OpenSSH on a few Redhat 6.2 machines.
That is version 2.2.0p1.
Everything compiles ok, and using the supplied init and pam files I got
openssh working without to much difficulty. In fact it was easier than the
commerical versions.
I can use ssh to login to remote machines fine, and it all behaves as
expected. However, when i try to use scp between the same hosts, i get the
following error on the client side:
--------------------
[pbates at shaman pbates] >scp ftp.csv pbates at quicksilver:
Enter passphrase for DSA key '/home/pbates/.ssh/id_dsa':
pbates at 128.1.3.92's password:
select: Bad file descriptor
lost connection
--------------------

Why does this happen? Both the server and client are configured to only run
the version 2 protocol, is this a problem?
The only info i could find on the wider web / news groups only mentioned
this briefly, and offered no solution.

Everything seems to be authenticating properly, as i can ssh to between the
same machines, and syslogd reflects a successful login via pam.

The config I am running is default with the only change being to remove
support for protocol 1, as we don't use it at our site. I also don't have
any .rhosts / shosts files, nor hosts.equiv etc. I tried adding these and
configuring openssh to look at them, but that made no difference.

Included below are the debug dumps from the client, and the server, trying
to transfer a single file, without rhosts type files.

Thanks for your time,
Peter

CLIENT
-------------------------------
Executing: host quicksilver, user pbates, command scp -v -t .
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to 128.1.3.92 [128.1.3.92] port 22.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Allocated local port 950.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: send KEXINIT
debug: done
debug: wait KEXINIT
debug: got kexinit: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug: got kexinit: ssh-dss
debug: got kexinit: 3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,arcfour,cast128-cbc
debug: got kexinit: 3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,arcfour,cast128-cbc
debug: got kexinit: hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160 at openssh.com
debug: got kexinit: hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160 at openssh.com
debug: got kexinit: zlib,none
debug: got kexinit: zlib,none
debug: got kexinit:
debug: got kexinit:
debug: first kex follow: 0
debug: reserved: 0
debug: done
debug: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: Sending SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT.
debug: bits set: 494/1024
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY.
debug: Got SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY.
debug: Host '128.1.3.92' is known and matches the DSA host key.
debug: bits set: 505/1024
debug: len 55 datafellows 0
debug: dsa_verify: signature correct
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: GOT SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: KEX2.
debug: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
debug: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug: try pubkey: /home/pbates/.ssh/id_dsa
debug: PEM_read_bio_DSAPrivateKey failed
debug: read DSA private key done
debug: read DSA private key done
debug: sig size 20 20
debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug: ssh-userauth2 successfull
debug: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: fd 5 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: fd 6 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug: send channel open 0
debug: Entering interactive session.
debug: callback start
debug: client_init id 0 arg 0
debug: Sending command: scp -v -t .
debug: client_set_session_ident: id 0
debug: callback done
debug: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug: channel 0: rcvd adjust 16384
debug: channel 0: rcvd ext data 44
debug: channel 0: rcvd ext data 137
debug: channel 0: rcvd ext data 29
debug: callback start
debug: client_input_channel_req: rtype exit-status reply 0
debug: callback done
debug: channel 0: rcvd eof
debug: channel 0: output open -> drain
debug: channel 0: rcvd close
debug: channel 0: input open -> closed
debug: channel 0: close_read
debug: channel 0: obuf empty
debug: channel 0: output drain -> closed
debug: channel 0: close_write
debug: channel 0: send close
debug: channel 0: full closed2
debug: channel_free: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i8/0 o128/0 fd -1/-1)

select: Bad file descriptor
debug: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 29 bytes in 0.0 seconds
debug: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 1989.4
debug: Exit status 127
lost connection
--------------

SERVER
---------------------------
debug: sshd version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: read DSA private key done
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 128.1.16.62 port 950
debug: Client protocol version 2.0; client software version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: got kexinit: hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160 at openssh.com
debug: got kexinit: hmac-sha1,hmac-md5,hmac-ripemd160 at openssh.com
debug: got kexinit: none
debug: got kexinit: none
debug: got kexinit:
debug: got kexinit:
debug: first kex follow: 0
debug: reserved: 0
debug: done
debug: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 none
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT.
debug: bits set: 505/1024
debug: bits set: 494/1024
debug: sig size 20 20
debug: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: send SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: Wait SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: GOT SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.
debug: done: KEX2.
debug: userauth-request for user pbates service ssh-connection method none
debug: Starting up PAM with username "pbates"
Failed none for pbates from 128.1.16.62 port 950 ssh2
debug: userauth-request for user pbates service ssh-connection method
publickey
DSA authentication refused for pbates: bad ownership or modes for
'/home/pbates/.ssh/authorized_keys2'.
Failed publickey for pbates from 128.1.16.62 port 950 ssh2
debug: userauth-request for user pbates service ssh-connection method
password
debug: PAM Password authentication accepted for user "pbates"
Could not reverse map address 128.1.16.62.
debug: PAM setting rhost to "128.1.16.62"
Accepted password for pbates from 128.1.16.62 port 950 ssh2
debug: Entering interactive session for SSH2.
debug: server_init_dispatch_20
debug: channel_input_open: ctype session rchan 0 win 65536 max 32768
debug: open session
debug: channel 0: new [server-session]
debug: session_new: init
debug: session_new: session 0
debug: session_open: channel 0
debug: session_open: session 0: link with channel 0
debug: confirm session
debug: callback start
debug: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug: session_input_channel_req: session 0 channel 0 request exec reply 0
debug: PAM establishing creds
debug: fd 7 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: fd 9 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: callback done
debug: channel 0: read 44 from efd 9
debug: channel 0: read 137 from efd 9
debug: channel 0: read 29 from efd 9
debug: Received SIGCHLD.
debug: session_by_pid: pid 7647
debug: session_exit_message: session 0 channel 0 pid 7647
debug: session_exit_message: release channel 0
debug: channel 0: write failed
debug: channel 0: output open -> closed
debug: channel 0: close_write
debug: session_free: session 0 pid 7647
debug: channel 0: read<=0 rfd 7 len 0
debug: channel 0: read failed
debug: channel 0: input open -> drain
debug: channel 0: close_read
debug: channel 0: input: no drain shortcut
debug: channel 0: ibuf empty
debug: channel 0: input drain -> closed
debug: channel 0: send eof
debug: channel 0: read 0 from efd 9
debug: channel 0: closing efd 9
debug: channel 0: send close
Connection closed by remote host.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x805826c(0x0)
debug: Calling cleanup 0x804e78c(0x0)
debug: Calling cleanup 0x805d704(0x0)

Peter Bates
Unix Systems Administrator
Department of Information Technology and Management

pbates at lto.nsw.gov.au