OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 + Redhat 6.2 - Problem with scp

Peter Bates pbates at lto.nsw.gov.au
Tue Sep 19 12:26:24 EST 2000

After a nights sleep to think about it some more, I've conducted the
following extra tests with OpenSSH.
I have a test OpenBSD 2.7 machine that I recently built. The only change
from defaults I made was to uncomment the config lines in the server and
client files to allow protocols 2 and 1.

After transferring my keys I was able to use ssh to login between the
openssh and redhat boxes. This worked in both directions.

When trying scp, I could not connect from OpenBSD to redhat, but scp from
the redhat machine to OpenBSD works!!

To check the sanity of my configs I then copied the OpenBSD config files to
redhat and used those, but this made no difference.

Summary as follows
SSH:
Redhat -> OpenBSD : yes
OpenBSD -> Redhat : yes
Redhat -> Redhat : yes

SCP:
Redhat -> OpenBSD : yes
OpenBSD -> Redhat : no
Redhat -> Redhat : no

This seems to point to a problem in my build of the server side of the
openssh port in Linux. The build machines are stock redhat 6.2 with most of
the errata updates applied.
No fatal errors, or any noticeable warnings occurred during the building on
openssl or openssh.

Peter Bates
Unix Systems Administrator
Department of Information Technology and Management

pbates at lto.nsw.gov.au