Performance hits from seeding the random number generator

Wallace, Mark, CTR, OSD/ATL Mark.Wallace at osd.mil
Thu Sep 21 01:04:21 EST 2000

What kind of connection delays are people seeing with Ossh 2.2.0p1??

One of the programmers here is seeing delays of up to 25s, which is clearly
unacceptable.  He's localized the problem to seeding the random number
generator - it appears that the _minimum_ number of commands needed to seed
the random number generator is 16.  On his hosts (for a variety of reasons),
many of those commands time out. We're reconfiguring OSSH to avoid the
commands that time out, but we've also considered alternate methods of
seeding the random number generator.

One of our other folks has written a function that produces random output
for another program.  It has been subjected to some informal statistical
analysis, and we're considering using it to see the random number generator,
rather than the current method - if it works, I'll see about releasing the
code.  Since it will be compiled code vice 16+ fork/exec calls, it should be
much faster.

However, I'd like to know if the current seed method has been subjected to
any formal analysis (if so, I'd like to submit out function to the same
analysis).

Mark Wallace