socks proxy support

Shun-ichi GOTO gotoh at taiyo.co.jp
Mon Sep 25 23:35:55 EST 2000

> is openssh going to ever contain socks4/5 proxy support
> (http://www.socks.nec.com/) the same way ssh (nonfree version) does?
> Without this support, openssh is completely unusable behind a firewall.

I have one proxy command which use SOCKS5 or HTTP-proxy (CONNECT).
I'm using it every day via SOCKS to login to out-side host
from UNIX (BSD/OS) and Windows (CygWin) environments.

If you wanna try, get source "connect.c" from
http://www.imasy.or.jp/~gotoh/connect.c
and compile it.

[for UNIX]
  gcc -o connect connect.c

[for Win32 (Visual C)]
  cl connect.c wsock32.lib

You should add entry to use it in ~/.ssh/config, like:

[for SOCKS5]
Host xxxx
  ProxyCommand connect -S socks-server %h %p

[for HTTP proxy]
Host xxxx
  ProxyCommand connect -H http-server %h %p

 NOTE: "socks-server" and "htt-server" is proxy hostname on your site.

It's very simple.
First make connection via SOCKS5 or HTTP-proxy
then relaying socket I/O each direction
But it is written only for my use.
So some functions are lacked.
For example SOCKS4 support and USER/PASS authentication support.
These are easy to implement, but not yet...

I'm welcome your suggestion.

--- Regards,
 Shun-ichi Goto  <gotoh at taiyo.co.jp>
   R&D Group, TAIYO Corp., Tokyo, JAPAN