Agent forwarding with DSA keys?

Paul Allen paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Tue Sep 26 09:57:26 EST 2000

Markus Friedl wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 11:07:09AM -0700, Paul Allen wrote:
> > Note that my problem is not with ssh-add.  The agent knows about
> > my DSA key and ssh uses the stashed key to log me in on another
> > machine without asking for my pass-phrase.  The problem is that
> > the connection to the agent is not forwarded if I use my DSA key,
> > while it is forwarded if I use my RSA key.
> >
> > So, I come back to the question, "Does agent forwarding work
> > with DSA keys?"  If it doesn't work yet, that's fine.  But if
> > someone has it working, I'd sure like to hear about it.
>
> agent forwaring does work with DSA and RSA,
> but it does not work if you use protocol version 2,
> since it's not implemented.
>
> just ssh to localhost with protocol 1 and execute 'ssh-add -l'

That's the way it looked to me.  I can ssh-add my DSA key, use
protocol 1 (RSA) to ssh somewhere, and the agent connection is
forwarded.  I just can't use my DSA key without losing the agent
connection.  I'll just set my users up to use protocol 1 by default
and be happy.  They can use "ssh -2" if some site requires it.

Thanks!  OpenSSH rocks, by the way!

Paul Allen

--
Paul L. Allen           | voice: (425) 865-3297  fax: (425) 865-2964
Unix Technical Support  | paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Boeing Phantom Works Math & Computing Technology Site Operations,
POB 3707 M/S 7L-68, Seattle, WA 98124-2207